William Morgan was born in 1545 at Tŷ Mawr, Wybrnant. He was one of five children and his parents were tenants on the estate of the powerful Wynn family of Gwydir, near Llanrwst. The road running by Wybrnant was a main drovers road in William Morgan’s time, and the family would often welcome the drovers and poets to their humble home.
It was a family tradition of the Wynn’s to take the ablest children of their tenants to be educated at Gwydir by the family tutor. As well a being educated by the travelling bards and mintrels who called at Tŷ Mawr, William Morgan was tutored at Gwydir, before heading to St John’s College Cambridge at the age of twenty.
Throughout his career, William Morgan served many parishes throughout Wales, but he is mainly associated with the vicarage of Llanrhaeadr - yn - Mochnant, because he stayed there from 1578 to 1595, and it was there that he translated the Bible into Welsh.
The first Welsh language Bible was published in 1588.